View Single Post
Old 01-07-2021, 11:16 AM  
Ria P
House of Hamsters

Default Re: Hamster really skittish as soon as I touch his back

None of my hamsters really liked the playpen either. They either sat in a corner sulking or tried to get out.
What works here is freeroaming in the hall with a blanket down and lots of floor toys and hides to explore. I close the doors and block the stairs with wire playpen panels.
I sit on the floor and let the hamster out on my lap and the freeroaming/playtime is like a reward and something to look forward to after a little tamung session.
I have a hamster who does not like or want out of cage time or human contact. He's been like that right from the start and i still try now and again but i can see how uncomfortable he is out of his cage. This dwarfie never asks to come out, never bar chews or climbs and doesn't even go near his door. He's happy in his own world and oblivious to everything around him. I can stroke him and he doesn't bite but a couple of strokes are enough, any more and he'll disappear down the nearest hole. He's not scared but annoyed i guess if i overstep my welcome.

I accept my hamsters for who they are so don't have a problem with that.

I think once you get to know your hamster better you'll get an idea of what he likes and what you can use as a taming reward.
A lot depends on his personality as well.

I know what you mean by not wanting to support pet shops but the way i see it is that every hamster deserves the chance of a good life, no matter where they come from because its not their fault they were born in a hamster mill.
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote