View Single Post
Old 01-03-2021, 05:19 PM  
Nika
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Putting cream on ham's nose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity7000 View Post
It could be a bedding issue - hemp is a plant material so if there was a damp patch it could get a bit of mould or fungus. I am allergic to hemp bedding (sets my asthma off anyway). You could try an area of paper bedding near his house end rather than changing all of it. I have had some fungus in a cage before where a water bottle leaked onto the substrate slowly. But it didn’t affect the hamster. The scabs could be a fungal infection (eg ringworm type thing) but boosting their immune system helps fight things as well and a depletion in nutrients could also cause skin issues.

The fact that it is on his nose only though does sound like he’s been sticking his nose in something! Have you checked toys and houses etc for sharp edges or nails etc. Also is there anything he could try and squeeze underneath (eg under a house )?

That is a good shout, and I double checked his bedding as I cleaned and I didn't find any wet patches/pee spots I didn't know about. His bottle is on the "shallow" end of the cage and I have some rocks put under it so I'd luckily know if it leaks before it dampens the bedding. I found his sleeping spots clean and free of pee, except for one of his boxes which I always keep an eye on.
I did wonder if there was anything sharp he could have had access to, but there is no such thing in his cage...

He is a digger and he loves being under stuff in his cage - one of his favourite sleeping spots is a corner previously under a house. I removed the house as I found some odd spots on it, and replaced it with a large egg carton as a "roof" for his little sleeping nest.

I have to say, I've not had much success with the cream. Pepper immediately washes it off after I put it on him, no matter what. I started cleaning his nose with warm salted water instead, hoping this helps the healing process at least! i will continue giving him antibiotics until it runs out - luckily that's been less of a problem.
Nika is offline   Reply With Quote