View Single Post
Old 12-25-2020, 04:30 PM  
Shadow Cat
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Dwarf hamster nose twitching or sneezing?

I get scared whenever my hamsters start sneezing as it can ber very dangerous if it develops into a lung infection. I took my girl straight to the vets a couple of months ago and she was prescribed antibiotics which I had to give her twice a day with a little syringe. I think the whole ordeal was more stressful for me than her.

I think hamsters can catch colds from us. Whener I'm ill I don't handle my ham and make sure I wash my hands before giving her food or changing her water. I would make sure the cage isn't in a room that's drafty as that can have an effect too. I will echo what the poster above says too about the frequency of changing the bedding. I do a half change about once a month and spot clean about twice a week. If the cage is large enough it really doesn't get too dirty.

Are you in the UK? I used the instore vets at Pets at Home and I think it's quite reasonable. It's around £30 for a consultation and it was about £15 for the antibiotics. I would always say better safe than sorry but I might be paranoid.
Shadow Cat is offline   Reply With Quote