Thread: Sand Bath
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2020, 07:25 AM  
LunaTheHamster1
Cosmic Hamsters

Default Re: Sand Bath

It's certainly worth giving it a go. I have had 4 syrians, and only 1 of them didn't use a sandbath. One of mine it was part of her routine, as soon as she woke up she would go have a sort of brush less of a roll around in the sandbath.

As for the size of it, I guess it depends on how much room you have for one. I've used an old 1 litre icecream box before now, just make sure your hamster isn't a chewer (maybe best used outside of the cage). I also used a cardboard box with paper to stop the sand going everywhere, that is about 9 x 7 inches and has an inch or two of sand in it, I also use a 9 inch pie dish, again with about an inch or two of sand in it.

Some people use baking trays, or cat litter boxes and some people cover whole sections of their cages with sand, you can go deeper than an inch or two if you want.

It really is up to you and the setup you have, what works for you. But certainly worth a try. I started with a little sandbath in the play area when free roaming, and as my hamster at the time liked it, I put one in her cage too.