View Single Post
Old 11-22-2020, 12:05 PM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Need book about health care and natural history

I'd second that It is more scientific/medical perhaps but a very good book written by vets. I am not sure it includes their care but you can get plenty of tips on here about that

My main tip is - they have a personality and communicate with you (in a way) but can't speak (obviously) so observe any behaviour or expressions - they may be trying to tell you something. They are a lot more intelligent and communicative than people realise. They can also be a bit stupid in some ways as well with a lemming-like attitude to jumping off things.

So always respect their habitat - they see it as theirs and they don't want to be treated like a parcel - so some courtesy in adjusting things is needed! It might sound silly but if I need to change or remove anything in the cage I explain what I'm doing - maybe they just hear tone of voice but I find it helps things be accepted.

They are hard wired to nest and hoard and so their nest and hoards are their most precious things and they don't like those being messed with - sometimes you have to but it helps to minimise it, replace any hoard you need to remove with new food (eg if its pee'd on) and always try and leave part of their nest behind even if it's pe'd in.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote