View Single Post
Old 11-21-2020, 02:22 PM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: I'm really stuck on what to do for Chewy

They do have “Go away I’m washing my hair” days . Was there anything could have set off the bar chewing? Sometimes it’s to tell you something isn’t right. Eg water bottle is empty or wheel is jammed. Sometimes it’s a bit of stress- eg after a cage clean or something they like being taken away. It can actually take 10 days to 2 weeks to settle after a major change so maybe it is the old house going that is stopping him settling so much. They do hide away more when it’s cold as well.

I wouldn’t wake him up during the day for taking - he would be very grumpy. What you can do is get then into a routine of being woken at say 6 or 7 pm for feeding and get them out then for some taming. Just make a little bit of cage noise putting the food out around the same time each day and they get in the habit of waking up at that time for food.

Also observe his evening patterns - they vary. Our first hamster was far too active at 6pm to get out but between 8 and 9pm he was quite dopey and would happily sit for a cuddle or just go to sleep in you. Between 10 and 11 he was highly active again and off!
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote