View Single Post
Old 11-21-2020, 01:29 PM  
Lizchewy
Hamster Pup

Default I'm really stuck on what to do for Chewy

Hello. I've posted on some other threads but just a quick summary - we have a rescue hamster Chewy. Had him for 8 weeks now. Taming was going slowly but steadily and he seemed happy until the roof popped off his igloo on the shelf and I rehomed him in a larger cardboard box at ground level. Ever since then I can only get him out to play every other night and even then I really have to coax him. Once out he will run around the playpen for about 5 mins going through tubes, nibbling at the food I've put out but then he just falls asleep. So then I put him back in his home. He eats, drinks has a little forage around and then goes back to bed. He used to run on his wheel about 5 hours a night, lately I haven't seen him use it at all. Its 12 inch silent spinner flying saucer style. He doesn't get up at all at night (i get up lots at night) apart from food and water. He looks healthy, eats and drinks but is hardly playing at all. He is awake about 7 in the morning but only for food and drink. One morning last week he bar chewed like mad and dug in his sandpit like mad but still wouldnt come out to play. He used to come when I call him and eat from my hand but now he is a recluse. He has been 8 days in his new cardboard box sleeping area. Perhaps he is still cross at his igloo popping. I've got the 12 inch silent runner on it's way in the post, I have degu shelves waiting to put up. I think once the new wheel arrives i will redesign his cage. I'm currently making a plan so I can get it right this time and then just leave it the same. The new wheel will give more space for much more enrichment and I'm also making a giant cardboard sleeve for top and 2 ends of plaza to make it covered and less exposed. At the moment he has flying saucer , sand bath, log bridges, grass huts, 2 shelves with hideouts on, rat tunnel, burrowing area (which he never borrows in so should I keep that bit?) so it s definitely not empty but may not be enough. My friend who volunteers with rescue animals and also has a house full of very calm and happy rescue pets including a hamster thinks I need to really work hard on the taming and maybe wake him up in the day to do it in a bath or a bed where there are no hideouts just to get him really used to humans and not be scared anymore. She has offered to help if he doesn't improve soon. Does anyone have any ideas ? Thank you in advance
Lizchewy is offline   Reply With Quote