View Single Post
Old 11-20-2020, 01:48 PM  
Roidgy
Newborn Pup

Exclamation Help! Roommate's flies getting maggots into cage

(skip to last paragraph for my question)

I want to preface this by saying that in my decade of keeping rodents, never once have I had a fly/maggot problem before this. My roommates are absolutely filthy and keep rotting, moldy food out in their room for weeks and, as you can expect, this attracts a lot of flies.

My robo hamster is a year old, healthy as can be, and I clean his cage regularly. I spot clean every few days and deep clean every 2-3 weeks. This has been sufficient before, but in the past few weeks there has been a massive infestation of flies in my roommates room. About a week ago I saw a fly in my room. I got rid of it but I guess it had already laid eggs in my hamster's cage, as ever since there has been about a fly a day coming out of there. I washed all his toys and replaced all his bedding, but today I saw a maggot crawling through his bedding.

No matter how often or thoroughly I clean his cage, more flies will come from my roommate's room.

Is there any way I can completely stop flies from laying eggs in his cage, or at least some way to ensure they don't harm him? Is there anything I should be on the look out for regarding his health signs?
Roidgy is offline   Reply With Quote