Thread: Piggies?
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2020, 04:25 AM  
Engel
Hamster Addict

Default Re: Piggies?

Ah ok.

That's what it says in the bag but on the pig forum they recommend 1 tbsp (6g) pellets per pig, per day. Pellets contain fillers and bulkers so pig remains full and can also but on a lot of excess weight through eating too much pellets. Hence when the vet says your piggie is fat, you drop the amount of pellets, not hay or veggies. Also pellets contain high amounts of calcium which are linked to kidney/bladder stones. So you don't want to be overdoing it.

Yes I've tried all colours of pepper. Doesn't kale/cabbage contain a lot of calcium? Ok for once or twice a week but I'd worry about everyday. That list is very good I'll bookmark that.

The 'best' food depends on you and your pig. When Oreo and Chunk came to me they were on a muesli mix with lots of seeds and grains, something which they're not designed to eat. I was going to feed Burgess but couldn't find anywhere in town that stocked it. My choice was:
- science selective normal (mainly alfalfa based)
- science selective grain free (Timothy based)
- pets at home nuggets (tend to be low quality and wouldn't touch with a barge pole)
- muesli mix

Using the chart on pig forum I came to the conclusion that science selective grain free would be the best of my options. I can get 1.5kg for £5.29 which will last 2 piggies About 4 months which isn't too bad

I've only tried mine with coriander. I grow thyme, basil and mint too so may try some of that. I'll have a little think on what else he can have.

Totally agree with you regarding weight. They're still growing so I don't know how big they'll be. I'm not sure if chunk will remain on the smaller side for a male because he is so small for his age. I've looked at a lot of charts and Oreo is within range for a 10 week old sow but Chunk is weighing the same as a 6 week old. I don't know if there was bullying when they were all together or whether there wasn't enough food provided in the beginning. So he may grow quite quickly now if that's the case as there's plenty to go round. When he came you can see his spine just a little bit too much. Looked like a pyramid already looks a lot better now but not perfect. I'll keep an eye on them but for the time being they're fine