View Single Post
Old 10-22-2020, 04:05 PM  
Engel
Hamster Addict

Default Re: Are there any good pellet foods these days?

Mixes add more enrichment especially if containing seeds and grains in their husk/shell.

Pellets claim to have everything they need in one pellet but all brands say that. It is worth noting that we don't really know what is 'ideal' for every hamster as things like age, gender, activity levels and species all play a roll so what may be ok for one may be rubbish for another. In all honesty there arent many occasions where pellets are recommended for these two reasons.

Another reason is ingredients. They normally are a tad rubbish. Don't get me wrong they'll eat them but they are kind of like junk food. One last thing to think about is what do they eat in the wild? Seeds, grains/ cereals, nuts, veggies, fruit, plants and flowers, even insects! So benefit from a mix unlike rabbits and guinea pigs who eat grass, plants and veggies, mostly grass (hay) so in those cases pellets are better than muesli as they're really only designed to eat one thing, vegetation. (Please note rabbits and guinea pigs diet should consist of 80% hay available at all times, 10-15% fresh veggies, 5-10% pellets which is roughly 20g a day per adult pig and 25g per kg, per day for rabbits).

In short, there isn't really any benefits to adding pellets in my opinion unless the food youre feeding is rubbish and you don't have access to anything else. By all means if you have an open bag of pellets to use up then mix them but I wouldn't go and buy them specially for this purpose.

Bunny basic/ dwarf are good. Not organic like getzoo and rodipet though.

Ultimately the decision is yours