View Single Post
Old 10-17-2020, 05:28 PM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: I have to give my hamster antibiotics and I'm scared of messing it up!!

I was very nervous about this too with our Robo and it would have been too stressful to catch him and hold him from meds plus he wouldn’t take it from the syringe (he attached the syringe!). I had an excellent tip from vectis to use beefy dog food and it worked a treat. They like it. It was the country hunter beef. Little pouches and it looks a bit like corned beef in jelly. So easy to get a tiny pee sized amount and drop the meds on top then mix it in a bit - I used a cocktail stick for that. Put it out on a separate little dish - eg a jar lid. Our Robo ate it all up and licked the plate clean then pushed it around for more . The flavour is strong enough to hide the nasty taste of the antibiotics. Most foods don’t disguise it. It was a bit of a waste of dog food if you don’t have a dog as the pouch only keeps in the fridge two days once opened then you open another one.

It made a huge difference as no stress to my Robo. He was not impressed when I stopped giving him the dog food though!

It’s not cheap. This is for six pouches (ie about 18 days with a fair bit of waste). They need the full dose of antibiotic so it needs to be something they eat all of. Very tiny amount of this worked for me.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Natures-Men...ger+bee&sr=8-1
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote