View Single Post
Old 10-17-2020, 09:28 AM  
Tamtam
Newborn Pup

Default Help moving house with a hammy

Hi everyone!

I’m looking for some help about how to move with my dwarf hamster, Blue. He usually lives happily in a very large bin cage, but we are driving for 10 hours to move house and I can’t move him in his large bin. The bin is too big to fit with me in the front of the van, and I don’t want to put him in the back because things could fall on or against the bin and he’ll get hurt.

So, I’ve bought a much smaller bin cage that can fit in the front with me. I know it’s not good to have hamsters in small cages, but it’s not permanent and I don’t really have a choice. I’ve transported previous hamster buddies in small travel cases before with no issues, but Blue is different. He’s never liked being in small spaces, even for very short times while I’m cleaning his house out, so who knows how he’ll handle a 10 hour drive, I’m super worried. His travel home is about 45cm x 30cm floor space and has water, shelter and food.

I’ve tried to acclimatise him to the space while I clean his bin cage and it hasn’t gone well. He gets a bit manic and runs around digging a lot and scrabbling at the walls. I guess it sounds a bit like cage rage, although he’s not aggressive at all, and he doesn’t get angry at me and doesn’t mind me putting my hand in and giving him attention. He just seems agitated. So I tried leaving him in it for 40 minutes with plenty food and bedding, I hoped he would eventually calm down and maybe stash some food or make a nest, but he just didn’t calm down at all, so I gave up and put him back in his bin cage. He calmed down pretty quick then.

I don’t know what to do. I’m worried the stress of a long drive will kill him if he acts like that for 10 hours. I can’t think of any other options. The kind of size bin that he would be happy with is far too big to fit in the front of the van.

Does anyone know any ways to get him acclimatised to the smaller bin for the drive? Or has anyone moved distance with a hammy previously and have a better idea how to do it?

Thanks guys, I appreciate any help!
Tamtam is offline   Reply With Quote