View Single Post
Old 10-17-2020, 08:54 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: New Syrian Hammy and help thread!

It all sounds good and momo sounds to have a good set up . I agree with the advice above. I personally wouldn’t have an area of the cage for sand - if it’s the hamster heaven. It can work well in larger tank style cages. Also Syrians are often not that bothered by sand baths - ours just seem to dig in them to see if they can escape out of the bottom! Then ignore it. A dish of sand can make a good sand bath but I tend to just use the sand in a corner litter tray for a Syrian. They then pee in it (if you put it in the right place) and can sit in the front part for a wash as well.

I use the JR fast chinchilla bathing sand from Zooplus - they se a large bag so it works out economical. So chinchilla bathing sand (not dust) or sterilised children’s play sand.

Diet wise Harry Hamster has everything they need. You could mix it 50/50 with the Bunny dream (they do a Syrian version as well as the dwarf one) for variety. But you’d then need to supplement the protein a little bit as the bunny has less protein than the HH. A nursing or mealworms etc once or twice a week or a bit of scrambled egg.

I currently use a mix of HH, Bunny dream and Rodipet foods. But using the HH on its own is fine too. I don’t worry about food colourings.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote