View Single Post
Old 10-15-2020, 03:28 PM  
Engel
Hamster Addict

Default Re: Rescue Ratties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst_ice View Post
Ah I like rammstein! I'll have a look for you and follow back

Ive had a needle aspiration before and unfortunately, you can get an abscess on top of the ZGT so it isn't a fail safe. Why it is so dreaded by ratty owners. And if it is an abscess, the sac has less chance to go so it can refill. It's just such an awkward place and can impact on the jaw, ear and eye. So nasty. My friend stayed over briefly on Sunday and cleaned some of the ear and saw something open up , it was discharging quite a granulated pus. But it feels quite solid and hasn't "gone down" so i suspect its an abscess on top of the gland tumour. I may , if I have the composure, do a small autopsy on it afterwards for my own piece of mind, but either way I think im doing right by him letting him go.

Its a shame he has never been a cuddler, hes a velvet, its lovely.

7-8 months is prime hormone time. I have never castrated. Its a shame you couldn't get them to reintro. Ive always kept bucks the 10 years and had minimal issues. I find related rats get on better if you can. Like nephews and uncles, its almost like they know.

The newbies are at one end of the room, neither seem aware of each other.

It wouldn't really make much difference having perspex imo as rats communciate more by smells and touch than sight. If i get the odd rowdy hormonal buck i sometimes have a tiny water pistol and make a loud eep sound. For an entire group to get rowdy id just remove most things and make them stay in a small cage and scatter feed.

Ive only ever had one rat that went to cause serious damage to another. It can look quite harsh when they get hormonal but as long as there is no blood drawn i leave them be.
Sorry wrong IG, it's my art account following you eternal art

Ah I see, didn't know you could get abscesses over top ZGT. Im sure you are. You know Icarus better than anyone, while it sucks, when it's their time you know. I wouldn't force yourself with autopsy I have a feeling that you already know what you'll find.

I got quoted £100 for a not so rat savvy vet as I couldn't find any others, didn't fill me with confidence so I didn't go ahead. The perspex was long ways through the cage which was the best I could do.

Last post I told a lie, just remembered I tried again when they were 1yr+. Same outcome. Weren't brothers. Their bros stayed with my friend. No issues there. Wondering if they gave me troublemakers purposely. They were my first pair of bucks. Haven't had any since. Had 5 girls though. I may just have been unlucky. Did contemplate getting some bucks to keep in seperate cage but I'd don't think I'd settle though as I'd be worried about if they got out. Or would the bucks start to fight when one of the girls comes on heat.

Yeh I tried all that but ended up with amputated toes a lots of bite marks are ripped out hair. Lots of blood. Far from ideal I know but when everything else failed it's the only left. I wouldn't even know which one to snip they were both as bad as each other, even as oldies. They lived a relatively long life despite the set up. Damon 2yr 2m and Niklaus was a month off his 3rd birthday.

As I said though, far from ideal.

Glad they don't seem bothered I'd imagine that they could smell each other.

Have you kept does? Can they get hormonal like bucks? My 2 are coming up to 5 months.