View Single Post
Old 10-15-2020, 03:01 PM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: need help with possibly pregnant syrian from pet store

I think she might be - especially from that first photo. But yes it’s a case of waiting and seeing. Where she is wider at the back end, you may be able to start seeing baby shaped bumps if she is. You should know soon enough. If you’ve had her a week then after two to three weeks if there are no babies then she isn’t pregnant. I can’t remember the gestation period - it’s either 16 days or 21 I think. Souffle will know

If she’s disappearing under the substrate that sounds like she may be a bit scared which is common when they are new and still very young - hiding away. The other thing is if there isn’t a house they like they will burrow and disappear.

However as she’s on pregnancy watch it’s best not to disturb anything just yet. Just keep putting out plenty of food and nesting material (torn up strips of plain white toilet paper in a heap). And it’s best to leave her alone as well. She could be building a birthing nest and if it’s disturbed after the pups are born she could cull them. So don’t clean anything for the next couple of weeks. And no peaking. It’s best to stay a reasonable distance from
The cage as well and only put food water and nesting material out, ideally when she’s asleep.

You may not know for a while if she’s had pups. Sometimes there are squeaking noises but sometimes not. It’s not safe to disturb anything until pups crawl out of the nest on their own.

Edit - posted at the same time is Amethyst Ice. If she does have pups you will need one extra cage initially. The girls can stay in with the Mother and at 3 or 4 weeks old the boys can go into a cage on their own (to prevent further pregnancies). They can go to new homes at 6 weeks so you shouldn’t need other cages if you find homes for them.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote