Thread: Rescue Ratties
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2020, 09:00 AM  
Engel
Hamster Addict

Default Re: Rescue Ratties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst_ice View Post
Aww what's your username?! (dm if you want)

Double rex has two "categories" but not a huge diff between them. Patchwork which I suspect these two are, lose it in patches randomly and grows back in other areas so constantly changing whereas the other DR just loses most and sometimes grows back in a peach fuzz. Then the hairless is different, total bald with no fuzz and comes with more health issues.

They may lose more, never had them, just have to see I guess.

They are settling in so well, im using a snuggle pouch to bond, they arent keen being picked up but im putting the pouch by the cage door and they are now climbing out into it. When they arent im just lifting the cage lid and scooping them out. They have started sleeping in the open on the hammock which is a good sign. Still a bit jumpy, the younger I think is deff under 6 months, hes very pingy and wrestly like a kit. He climbs all over me too and keeps trying to play wrestle with the other. Its a shame I havent any kits but my two 1 year olds are very energetic and playful, i have a feeling they will make quite the trio!

Unfortunately im taking the lad I thought had a ZGT to be pts tomorrow morning, It has got bigger and im not convinced its an abscess. He is a bit withdrawn as well now so I think he isn't happy and id rather say bye before it possible effects his jaw or eyes... or opens up.

In terms of intros, horrible as it sounds, if anyone was going to cause any issues I think it would be Icarus, hes a big lad and throws it around. So with him gone, I think ill skip carrier and go to a small hamster cage as starters (savic cambridge). When I see snuggling up or "indifference" towards newbies i then move up to a critter 1. Then add a hammock then try them in top half of emptyish explorer. I have a feeling with my main group dropping to 3- just an old man and two hyper 1 year olds they will bond easily, fingers crossed.

Im going to leave them another week though, i want them to not run away when i pick them up or spook them.

Here are some adorable snuggle vids

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGQPVcuH..._web_copy_link

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGQHUgcn..._web_copy_link
Engel means angel in German. Don't ask me why I chose it, might be as I was listening to a German band (Rammstein) which have a song called Engel. I'm not German but took a GCSE for it (more because I could) and kind of carried on learning through songs and writing. For example, when on the rodipet or getzoo page I don't need to use translator which is really handy as I don't know how to translate the page

I know true nakids are different, but didn't know that double Rex had the 2 'categories' as you call it. I thought they just lost some of their hair and that was that. Learn something new every day!

I had to do the same with my girl Inky, only now she's getting comfy with being picked up. Well that's good, hopefully he'll bond well with the 1yr old if they're still quite playful.

Ive looked at photos of Icarus and though I've not had and dealings with ZGT, I've read about it and its, unfortunately, in the usual spot

Can you not ask the vets to do a needle aspiration? Just so you are certain? Bless him.

I understand what you mean by it being easier. No it's not horrible you're just being realistic. Are you currently keeping the newbies in the same room so they can smell each other or somewhere else?

I don't know what my girls will be like when I introduce more. They bounce off each other pretty well and not vicious so I'm hoping that it'll go well. When I had boys it went very bad so I'm scared, no lie. They were in the same cage since 8 weeks old then started fighting at 7-8 months. So I seperated them for few weeks. I did a split cage with perspex so they could see each other but couldn't get to eachother which worked perfectly. I introduced them again and they tried to kill each other. Fair to say that they went back to split cage and stayed like it.

Hope they get along and adorable boggles