View Single Post
Old 10-14-2020, 05:33 AM  
envidianthine
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Hamster resources in Bosnia and Herzegovina?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria P View Post
When i was young and growing up in rural Bavaria i had a guinea pig and got wood shavings from the local saw mill.
Not packed, i brought a bag and small shovel to scoop it up from a heap.
I know that wood shavings aren't that popular nowadays but they're fine as a base layer or in part of the cage like under the wheel or in a play area and with limited resources this may be a possibility to look into.
I honestly have no idea if we even have a local saw mill. And if we do, I'm not sure if the wood we have is aspen - most likely not. :/ I'll still be searching though! Thank you for your response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithuviel View Post
I also live in eastern europe but i'm lucky to be in EU (Romania) and i don't have to look to hard for stuff.

If you get wood shavings from the pet-shop you can take a good look at it. 1- see if its dusty 2- see if it has any smell. If you can sense any smell at all know that the hamster can smell it 10 times better.

So you can try and find wood shavings that don't smell and are not dusty from what is available but you might be going through different brands and bags.

Also for sand baths you can go to any hardware store and look for children play sand. You need to let is dry and than bake it to make it safe for hamster.
Yeah, the thing is I don't really want to waste money on products that I potentially won't even end up using (and since I can't really use wood shavings for anything else besides a hamster, they'd just get thrown away), and I also can't really just open a bag of bedding inside of the store ^^'

I will definitely ask the pet shop workers if they know what kind of wood is used, but I have a feeling that they will have no idea, or they'll just tell me "oh it's safe, don't worry!" even though it most likely isn't. :/

Thankfully I was able to find children's play sand, so there is some silver lining here hahaha. Thank you for your response!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaTheHamster1 View Post
can you find hemp bedding? sometimes this is used for reptiles/horses. So maybe an equestrian shop?
I'm allergic to it, but my hamsters are fine with it.
I don't really think we have equestrian shops. I mean, we do have like one horse ranch some ways away from the city, but I have no idea where they get their stuff from. :/

Thank you for your response though! ^^
envidianthine is offline   Reply With Quote