View Single Post
Old 10-12-2020, 03:21 AM  
Space Hamster
Newborn Pup

Default Any suggestions to improve cage for my new friend?

Following on from a thread I started recently about my new syrian who has turned into rather a hermit, @cypher suggested I post some photos of my cage setup to see if there are any improvements I could make. It's still early days with him so I don't want to make any big changes and upset him while he's still getting settled in, but it'd be great to get some ideas for improvements I can make in the future to help him feel happier.

He's housed in a Hamster Heaven (without the tubes and penthouse) and I'm using Kaytee clean & cozy for his substrate. He currently has a 8" trixie plastic wheel which will later be upgraded to the 11" trixie wooden wheel once I have plastikote-d it He's got a large wicker tube just under the door and a couple of bendy bridges.

The plastic igloo has a little wooden rainbow bridge over it's entrance to help make it more inviting, but he hasn't shown much interest. (I do have a dark blue one I may switch it with later - maybe the darker colour will make it seem darker inside for him.) The puzzle playground is sunk into the bedding which he used as the starting point for the tunnel system he's built in his bedding.

I had three corner trays, so I figured I may as well hedge my bets and pop one in each corner in hopes he'd use one for a pee corner - no such luck, but I've heard him digging in one late at night, I think he just likes scrapping about in there

There's a couple of small wooden ledges I installed over the more exposed trays to help them feel more covered and in one case, also provide alternate access on/off the corner shelf. Asides from that there's a variety of chew toys and bits in case he feels like chewing which have been ignored. I think he's pretty much just a bed-and-wheel kinda guy!

I'd appreciate whatever suggestions and constructive citicisms you might have for helping to improve his home. Thanks so much!

Space Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote