Thread: Rescue Ratties
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2020, 08:46 AM  
Amethyst_ice

Default Rescue Ratties

Hi All,

Many of you will know I have focussed more on rat keeping but still have hammy love. I've been keeping rats for over 10 years now but havn't had the best of years. I've lost many too young and my mischielf is down to 4 now and possibly have to say goodbye to one as I suspect he has a tumour in his cheek which isn't operable. Ive been trying to get new kits for months but the breeders aren't havn't much luck either.

I'm down to a very scraggy old man who has a bad leg but still gets around, my middle age man I may have to say bye to, and two energetic 1 year olds.

I saw some rats advertised on the rspca and thought i'd just enquire. I didn't get them but the shelter phoned me a few days ago and said how impressed they were with my knowledge, experience and set up and would I consider the 2 remaining boys?

Their story is here *warning, contains distressing images*

https://www.kenilworthweeklynews.co....lworth-2953873

They have been at the shelter since mid August and didn't have much fur and short whiskers. The vet said the fur should grow back but from the description, I suspected they were double rex (like hamster rex of wavy fur, the double gene of this causes a patchwork balding effect and curly whiskers, it's genetic not medical- they are also not ethically approved of much in ratty world much like many hairless varieties and do have additional health risks such as skin isues and ingrown hairs).

I am not a fair of hairless or rex varieties but thought I'd see the videos. This is what they sent me

Video 1: https://streamable.com/t4itcm
Video 2: https://streamable.com/ihmjuk

IMG-20201007-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20201007-WA0008.jpg

I found myself grinning away while watching. On a personal level..Ive been having some bad hair loss for a while and on Monday it was decided to stop a medication I'm on as they believe it is the cause. The nhs are also funding me a wig..I wear a hat in the house all the time and it has really knocked me back.

I'm not a huge believer in fate but with every ratty Ive tried to get the past few months not working out, I felt perhaps we were all meant to be baldies together..so I said yes!

I've been communicating with them lots and my own vet to ensure they don't pose any risk to my group and hopefully when they have setttled and I've worked with them a bit (centre staff say they will take treats but not sure about handling..they look quite confident in the video if just a tad shy) they can be introed to my group!

From talking to friends who have double rex, they said they are very warm due to a faster metabolism and other rats curl up to them more.

I have a greek name theme with my current lot and think these two will be renamed Kairos & Tempus. The greek god Kairos (roman equiv is Tempus) was the god of favourable and opportune moments and is dispicted with a bald patch and single strand of hair. It all seems very fitting!

I'm due to collect them Sunday morning and i'm super nervous. I have "rescued" rats in the past, but those were more gumtree type rehomes. These will be my first proper rescues. Given the lab tank they were found in and marker pen on the tank, I suspect they have come from a large scale backyard breeding set up, likely for snake food so possibly have lived their life in that cage or similar. There was a single female found with the 5 males also which points to this.

The centre age one around a year and the other 6 months. I don't know how long i'll have with them or if they will bond to my group but either way they have a forever home here and lots of snuggly hammocks, fresh food and clean water.

And snuggies if they let me!