Thread: Food for Robos
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2020, 05:59 AM  
AmityvilleHams
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: Food for Robos

I wouldn't consider it unrealistic to expect others to feed a high quality species appropriate diet. Harry Hamster may not necessarily be exactly all that harmful, but it still isn't species appropriate where dwarf hamsters are concerned and it isn't high quality either once you compare it to Rodipet in particular.

There's also the off chance that someone might think other foods that would be extremely inappropriate would be fine. In this case, having a required diet would actually be a good safety practice and would as such ensure proper care in regards to diet. I however would actually specify Rodipet foods as these are the truly best ones and only mention Bunny Dreams as a last resort as it really isn't that great.

For some reasons why Bunny Dreams isn't great, consider the ingredient quality. These are not the same quality as Rodipet - Rodipet is an organic whole food based food with no synthetic additives including vitamins and minerals. Bunny does not meet that same ingredient quality standard and also despite having added mealworms(which many hamsters won't eat anyways) has less protein. Cypher might have even more reasons that make Bunny even less suitable though.

Ultimately food is a fairly complicated subject. The easy answer is Rodipet and that's fine, but I think in a lot of cases it also helps to know why Rodipet is such a high quality food and what makes it entirely unlike any other food on the market. Things like their ingredient quality standards, ingredient sourcing standards, being a truly whole food based diet, and not containing any form of synthetic ingredient all make it dramatically different. I know it can be a bit of a hard pill to swallow for some people when others say foods like Harry Hamster or Bunny aren't that great, but that's just the unfortunate reality of hamster food.

I do wish we had more Rodipet quality options, especially in the US where the only suitable option is Higgins Vita Garden which still isn't as good(better than other US foods and dwarf appropriate though).

At one point I even considered making my own or trying to find some way to import Rodipet but both of those would be time consuming and ultimately probably very expensive. Creating safe herb mixes, treats, etc and possibly growing and drying out hamster edible herbs and such might work out one day for me but at this point the food making or Rodipet importing is unlikely to be a reliable option. For those in the US(or other areas Rodipet don't ship to) that have connections in places where you can get Rodipet shipped to, that is still an option but likely expensive with shipping and such.
AmityvilleHams is offline   Reply With Quote