View Single Post
Old 10-07-2020, 02:33 PM  
Engel
Hamster Addict

Default Re: Newbie: Picket the WW (we think) and his new house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picket View Post
I don't think you looked at the picture of the Kallax I am making in my initial post. The top floor has no dividers between floors, it is completely unencumbered and absolutely is continuous floor space. The other floor has only two dividers in it, to provide some cross bracing stability, but with wide cut outs to provide full access across the entire span of the shelf - which is almost 57 inches long! The bottom two shelves are for storage, the top two for Picket. I am sad that my initial intro to this forum is someone telling me that 800+ inches of floor space isn't good enough.
800 inches of floor space is fantastic!

For arguments sake can you measure the top shelf (width length and height).
one shelf would be sufficient but the fact you are giving your hamster both is fantastic!

What Amity means is it technically wouldn't be 1600" as it needs to be continuous uninterrupted space. Essentially what you have is an extra floor which doesn't add floorspace (think of it as the amount of room the shelving unit takes on your actual floor.) like in a house. the base takes up x amount of space on the ground, floors are added above. leaving room around the base for more housing or greenspace . Do you understand? I know its confusing but hopefully that helps you.

What you do have is extra space. like in a house you have enough room for a couch, tv and kitchen on one floor so on the second floor you can have bedroom and bathroom.

This extra space can be used for enrichment like lots of bedding to burrow in, large sand bath/ digging box, foraging areas. you could use the same substrate throughout or use 1 or 2 other substrates to add enrichment.

Hamsters in the wild live on the edges of deserts. Maybe have a look at where your hamster species comes from and the environment and it will give you ideas on the types of things you can add into their cage

Id be interested to see it when its done. Exciting times!!!