View Single Post
Old 10-05-2020, 05:01 AM  
aowen90
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Treating a hamster ear infection

We managed to get to the vets on saturday and she wanted to sedate him to clean his ear and then prescribe antibiotics. It was a lot of money so I asked if I could just try some medication (which was still a lot of money!). They offered me some drops caneural 3 drops twice a day. I have sat with him and been really patient to try and soften the 'plug' in his ear as the vet advised, before i put the drops in i use some warm salt water and touch his ear to try and loosen it and then i give the drops.

Every time I apply the drops I wait patiently for him to sit still in a 'hospital box' I bribe with treats and then do this because I don't want to cause him any stress by trying to restrain him, but as soon as this happens he starts trying to clean it off and rubs it everywhere. And then just as he's clean again I have to apply more. I feel awful doing this I just really hope they work.
Has anyone used these ear drops on hams before? Its making him quite greasy, he had a sand bath but i removed it because he would jump straight into it after the drops and i didn't want sand getting in his ears. Im trying so hard to help and its been a very stressful weekend. I feel that the ear is going down in terms of swelling and the mass is starting to get small so hopefully it will come off soon finger crossed he continues to improve.

Ham has been so good through all this, i have been so upset but ive had no reason to be. he wakes up when he hears me and lets me do what i need to do with no problems hes such a good boy! i thought he would get sick of me messing with him, but i feel he knows i am trying to help.
aowen90 is offline   Reply With Quote