View Single Post
Old 10-01-2020, 04:50 AM  
aowen90
Newborn Pup

Default Treating a hamster ear infection

Hello,

I have come here for some advice.

I have a winter white dwarf hamster around 18 months old and I have noticed a problem with her ear.

She is fine in herself eating and drinking and active as usual but her ear looks uncomfortable. There seems to be some brownish looking discharge which has hardened on the outside and have noticed her scratching at it, and its caused the ear to swell a little too.
I really want to get this off, I have tried giving her her favourite treat to get her to sit still but she wouldn't let me as its quite fiddley.

I have read that its quite common in hamsters to get ear infections and when taken to the vets they are commonly given baytrill.

Seen as she seems fine in herself I would much rather try and fix this for her first myself before giving her the stress of a car journey etc. I want to try and clear the ear by softening the scab (if this is what is it) and hopefully she will get better after that.

Could anyone offer me any advice? How I can keep her still while I try and clean it up, and how you would go about doing this?

Has anyone done this before?

Many thanks,

Abby.
aowen90 is offline   Reply With Quote