View Single Post
Old 09-30-2020, 08:17 AM  
Picket
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Newbie w/ Add'l questions! re: Picket the WW (we think) and his new house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmityvilleHams View Post
There are definitely more things to avoid but I'll keep it to just that to avoid an overly long post. I will also add that you didn't ask, but the one suitable food for dwarf hamsters in the US is Higgins Vita Garden.
Oh, thank you! Hmmm. Does this mean that I should change his food? We are primarily giving him Oxbow Essentials Hamster & Gerbil - which is kind of a donut shaped pellet food, and the same stuff he was fed when he was housed at the Humane Society. We then add a tiny amount of Kaytee Fiesta Gourmet Variety Diet (which he loves) for some variety, and we also use it as treats, or incentive as we tamed him. We occasionally give him lettuce or other little bits of "people" food too. Was going to pick up some meal worms for an occasional treat too?

For bedding we have been using Carefresh Small Animal Bedding - White. I chose white because we wanted to easily tell where he has been soiling. Now that he is more established and we're learning his habits and preferences, I was going to switch to "natural" to avoid dye/bleach. He does have a sand/litter box which he uses some. (He also loves to pee on his wheels.) The sand we have been using is Tiny Friends Farm Small Animal Bathing Sand.

One of my concerns is stressing him out when switching too much stuff at once. He has had several cage configurations, which were doing when it was time for full cleanouts. We stopped that so he won't have too many big changes at same time. Since we will be switching him soon to the Ikea Kallax, where he'll have two floors x four "squares" across, I was planning on using different substrates in different areas then see what he leans toward. (Was thinking of trying some hemp, a bigger sand area, aspen shavings, etc.. I was nervous about the coconut for the reasons you mentioned - not sure how to ensure quality. Will definitely add the Small Pet Select Paper now too!!) I like the natural style cages I've seen online that have millet sprays and the like, but also not sure where to find that sort of stuff (especially organic) either.

Thanks again for your input!
Picket is offline   Reply With Quote