View Single Post
Old 09-29-2020, 09:32 PM  
Ke1982

Smile Hello! I’m new to hamster care. Questions about sand baths?

Hello! Just to start my hamster is about 2 months old and her name is Hinoka.
I have the prevue 528 cage which is about 600 sq inches so it’s not too small. But I would like to get her a bigger cage but I’m having trouble finding anything right now. I want the ikea detolf but it’s been out of stock and I don’t know when it will be available again. I’ve never built anything myself and don’t have the tools or the money and space to buy and store tools. Anyways my question is about sand baths. I have a small sand bath in her cage, I don’t have room for a bigger one. She pees in it and I’m wondering how often I need to change it. She doesn’t poop or get anything else it in, just pees in it. I am using children’s play sand so it’s not too expensive to change every day but it seems a little excessive. I tried just taking out any clumps but they break apart and get mixed in the rest anyways. And it starts to smell very strong after a day. So far I tried changing it every 3 days but she has a strong order and I’m wondering if it’s from the sand bath? Should I change it every day or will she have a strong order anyways because she seems to be marking her cage.
Ke1982 is offline   Reply With Quote