View Single Post
Old 09-29-2020, 09:40 AM  
AmityvilleHams
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: Newbie: Picket the WW (we think) and his new house.

The highest quality substrate you'll find in the US would be Small Pet Select's paper bedding. It's just pure virgin fiber - nothing recycled, no dyes, low dust, etc which are all things you want in a suitable substrate. I know some people will mention Kaytee Clean and Cozy but that isn't as high quality and does at times have questionable batches with unsuitable dust levels and such.

For litter and bathing sand, just use dye free natural children's play sand. It must be rinsed, sifted, and baked before use but it is an extremely safe option if treated as such before use as well as being very low cost! I would stay away from reptile sand and other similar things. Clay litter and similar "potty litter" type things sold for animals including small animals are completely unsuitable as they can lead to digestive blockages if ingested.

For ventilation, all that really counts and works effectively is a properly spaced mesh or similar bar such as recycled from other cages with suitable spacing(providing the coating is completely intact - rusted surfaces and missing coating is a potential hazard that can easily be overlooked, but ingestion of paint etc or general injury due to this issue is a concern). Drilled holes do not work effectively for small pets like hamsters - neither would things you'd find in reptile enclosures. Excessive humidity and the trapping of odors isn't just unpleasant for humans, improperly ventilated cages actually increase your risk of respiratory infections in hamsters!

For things to avoid, as mentioned clay litter and such is definitely one. Some popular content creators and such will mention soil - this is completely unsuitable for hamsters and should just not be done with no exceptions. A great alternative to soil would be coconut fiber, but even that has to be a pure coconut fiber(no additives etc) and needs to be used with certain precautions to make it safe - only small amounts, never used overly moist, and never used overly dry either.

There are definitely more things to avoid but I'll keep it to just that to avoid an overly long post. I will also add that you didn't ask, but the one suitable food for dwarf hamsters in the US is Higgins Vita Garden.
AmityvilleHams is offline   Reply With Quote