View Single Post
Old 09-24-2020, 04:22 PM  
Engel
Hamster Addict

Default Re: I have done a thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi_78 View Post
I board animals (birds and rodents) as a part-time job.

Thanks for all the information. I generally find ways to slip in advice during ordinary conversation unless it's something really harmful (fluffy bedding etc) in which case I will bring it up purposefully. I plan to acquire a rat cage to keep here at some point so owners don't have to transport the huge cages (I do this for guinea pigs and gerbils already) so all your tips are useful.

They're on the Science Selective Pellets.
Ah I see. I would suggest the Coco cage. It can hold 6 rats and is highly recommended. It's on my little warehouse or something.

Dog ropes attached to the cage with shower hooks and a washable and cheap option. DIY hammocks are easy so if you wanted to stock up on them.

I'd get some harkamectin which is for birds but also rats. It does parasites so if lice becomes an issue which often happens when kept on carefresh.

Rats don't need to be weaned onto different foods, they adapt very quickly. I don't know if you keep food at yours for the pets or if the owners bring food but rat rations ISA mixes are very good coupled with calcivet (or cuttlefish bones) and Dr squiggles daily essentials.

Science selective was considered the best food but has since changed recipes and is high in wheat. Wheat is harsh on kidneys which is a weak point on rats. A lot elderly rats have kidney issues. So generally advised a low wheat diet throughout their lives. All rat ration pre mixes contain little to no wheat.

Idk if you know that rat 'tears' are red known as pophrin. More about that and a lot of other things here:
Health Guide: Porphyrin Secretions / Red Tears