View Single Post
Old 09-24-2020, 03:15 PM  
Engel
Hamster Addict

Default Re: I have done a thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi_78 View Post
I'll attach a photo of the cage. I knew the shelves were an issue. Once I had washed their fabric house and scrubbed the shelves and wheel they smelt fine so it is definitely the environment, not the rats themselves. They weren't very happy with me for scrubbing everything but a few treats later, all was forgiven!

They're going home on Saturday so there's no point making any changes now but it will be good to know any cage tips for the future.
Are you pet sitting for friend or family, someone you know well which don't mind advice? There's just a few things I would change. Feel free to show them mine if they're open to it. I can upload better photos if you'd like.

That cage which I think is the Freddy 2 is 11 cubic feet. Mine is slightly smaller at 9.5 cubic feet. I do a proper clean out once a month. (Get everything out for a good scrub and replace substrate. Ect) I could probably leave it longer as it doesn't smell but as I scatter feed, any old bits of food could be in there.

-Remove the shelves.
-Add hammock's can be bought or made, aldis have some fat quarters in at the moment.
-only use the litter in the litter box. Use bedmax or little max as main substrate. The rats can learn to only toilet on litter but if the whole cage is litter they'll go everywhere. Also fill the whole base up to the rim for digging enrichment.
- add ropes for dogs and hang in the cage for climbing enrichment.
- that wheel isn't big enough! It's only 12". Minimum of 14" for does, 16" is best as it suits both.
- get rid of the food bowl and scatter feed.
- have at least one water source per rat.

What food are they on out of curiosity?