View Single Post
Old 09-24-2020, 01:42 PM  
Engel
Hamster Addict

Default Re: I have done a thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi_78 View Post
They're lovely. I have two rats staying with me at the moment. The trouble is, the cage has those big plastic shelves which they pee on so they do smell a bit. How much do rats really smell providing they have a good cage layout, the right diet etc?
Ugh those plastic shelves stink really quickly and normally people don't bother with them.

I spot clean every other day like with Hans. Wipe wheels and removed soiled litter. Change hammocks weekly and change substrate every 2-3 weeks.

I clean the cage with unscented sensitive washing up liquid and the hammocks in non bio with some white vinegar. I have an air purifier too but it's hardly on tbh.

In short if they're kept well and on decent food, they don't smell. Rats themselves don't smell but their environment. So if it smells, it's because of husbandry rather than the animal itself if that makes sense. 0 smell, rats smell lovely, like biscuits.

What's the setup like? Might be able to give pointers if it's smelling. (Starting with removing them shelves. They suck and make more work. Replace with ropes and hammocks).