Thread: Kids vs hamster
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2020, 02:31 PM  
LunaTheHamster1
Cosmic Hamsters

Default Re: Kids vs hamster

Ria has some great advice there. Do you watch Munchies Place on YouTube? she runs a hamster rescue and she talks about matching the hamster to the people who want to adopt them. For example, if someone has no or little experience of handling a hamster then you would want to be matching them up with a hamster that was easy going/very tame, maybe happy to be handled. More scared hamsters that need quiet and time to come out of themselves may need to be adopted by someone with no children. For example I adopt my hamsters from Austin's rescue in the UK and I have had hamsters that needed a quiet place to go live as I have no children and will just let my hamsters do what they want and work at their pace. Maybe you could start to follow a few rescues on youtube and social media and just observe what and how they do it.
Also when I adopt I have to sign a form saying certain things I won't do with the hamster etc.
Maybe you could create something like that so people know you mean business, I know Austin's also list the requirements of cage size, wheels etc on their page with examples. I think the more information you can provide to people wanting to possibly adopt will mean you will get rid f time wasters and make it easier for you to match hamsters to people.

No, you aren't bad if you aren't happy to let a hamster go to a family with small children,

Although, I will say I know many young hamster/pet youtubers and their care for their animals is incredible. Age doesn't always equate maturity and responsibility.