Thread: Kids vs hamster
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2020, 01:30 PM  
Ria P
House of Hamsters

Default Re: Kids vs hamster

90% of the hamsters i've collected for the rescue and the hamsters i rehome myself were bought for kids who lost interest or decided to get a bigger pet.

I would only rehome to responsible parents who are willing to play an active part in the care of a pet and point out that a hamster is not a suitable pet for a child anyway.

You can usually tell if a parent is responsible because they would have done some research, sourced a suitable cage and gained some knowledge about hamsters.

Don't be afraid to turn people down if you are not 100% sure about them.

I have a young hamster at the moment who has already had negative experiences with children and he has a long way to go yet until he is ready for adoption. Once i get to know him better i'll have a better idea of what kind of forever home would suit him.

I think its not so much a matter of whether someone is an adult or young person but more a matter of matching a hamster's personality with a suitable person who wants to adopt.

It is not an easy task and i agree that it is scary. It scares me as well to think that i could get it wrong.

Last edited by Ria P; 09-23-2020 at 02:23 PM.
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote