Thread: Biting
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2020, 11:16 AM  
jsp
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Biting

Hi,

Thanks, yes I did come to the forum when I was having problems with the smell and you all managed to solve it so completely and I was really grateful. I changed the cage so it has trays with little sides on them and each tray has back-2-nature paper little on it to absorb the smell, so there is no smell now at all.

I now only clean him out about once every three weeks with unscented soap, and he seems to be much happier about that. With the big trays there is nowhere at all that he can fall, and I got rid of his rope climbing frame that he had for about three days at the end of the last thread.

I like your idea about covering over the sides at the bottom so that he could think of that as being under the ground. I can see that he would really like that.

Do you think he would like it if I covered over all the lower shelves and just kept the top shelf uncovered as though it was the ground with three burrow layers below?

Oddly I've noticed that he really loves to climb straight up the walls and much prefers that to running up the ramps. He also loves to climb down the walls, which is quite tricky but one of his favourite pastimes.

My last hamster absolutely adored climbing too and loved to climb up the cage bars and up bookcases. She even go to the gap between my feet and run rapidly up the gap between my legs into my cupped hands while I was standing. I think she was just a natural born climber.

The previous hamster had the cage in this exact formation shown onlin except with one big extra plastic tray added: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Little-Frie...32&sr=8-5&th=1

She had no trouble with it like that, but I had to change it for this current hamster (Roc) as it didn't suit him to have the open shelves and also the shelves needed to be cleanable and have the paper litter on them to control the smell.

I will look online for hemp mat. I bought him a big lot of hemp rope during the last thread and he loves that to bits. It's what he uses for his nest in the pipe. He shreds it to pieces and makes lovely soft nests in and uses it to plug the end of the pipe.
jsp is offline   Reply With Quote