Thread: Biting
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2020, 10:32 AM  
cypher
Dwarf whisperer

Default Re: Biting

There are a couple of things to take into account I think, you can’t compare hamsters really or expect a ham to be like previous hams you’ve had they are all individuals & we have to figure out what they do & don’t like & work with them trying to look at things their way.
Try not to project human characteristics onto hams either, they aren’t aggressive by nature & this isn’t a male testosterone thing going on! Hams bite when they’re scared or stressed, sometimes they bite in the cage if they’re a bit territorial but that’s usually more of a female thing as they have more reason (by instinct) to protect their territory.
I think your little guy is probably a bit confused right now, he doesn’t know where his territory starts & ends & why he’s being removed from part of it.
I would keep him in the cage for a while, I’m not sure how deep you can make the substrate in the base of that cage but make it as deep as you can & give him a good size house with no base so he can burrow down & make a proper nest in there.
Let him really settle in the cage for a while & keep cleaning to an absolute minimum while he settles, just spot cleaning when needed.
Once he’s more settled try to get into a routine with him, when he wakes naturally see if he will come out using something safe to transport him to a play area with plenty of toys & just let him gradually get used to hands & maybe climbing on you & see if the biting stops then.
❤️
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote