View Single Post
Old 09-18-2020, 06:12 AM  
Ebf9681
Newborn Pup

Angry Re: Injured foot on dwarf hamster. Please help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyHamsterAdventures View Post
Any updates on how your hamsters foot is?
Hey! Yes I can provide an update. I finally found a vet about an hour and a half from me and took him to be seen. They were EXTREMELY rude and I even had the vet assistant (tech?) said “you shouldn’t be so hard on yourself and make yourself this upset. He’s just a little hamster”. Let me tell you, my rage went through the roof with that comment. The vet came and examined him as best he could, my poor little guy was so skiddish. He said that there was “nothing they could do at this time”. No X-ray, no antibiotics, no pain relief!!! I’m furious. He said that if his condition declines to call back. Fast forward to a day later and I’m checking in on him, making sure he has his fresh water and food. He comes out of his hideout to greet me and HAS 3 LEGS NOW. Chewed it right off apparently. I called the vet yet again and was told that hamsters sometimes do that when they are injured, and if I want I can bring him in to have him euthanized ?!?!? There were some harsh words exchanged on the phone that day. He didn’t even give me an idea for what to do about my hammie’s self amputation. I asked if I could use antibiotic ointment (the kind without pain relief in it) and the vet said he couldn’t answer that over the phone. So now my little guy is adjusting to his new 3 legged life... he’s getting around very well surprisingly but I’m TERRIFIED of an infection occurring!!! No idea what to do to help my little fella, I am so worried constantly and the vet is no help. He is the only vet near us that sees exotic animals, I can’t go any farther because the car is in the shop and the next nearest exotic vet it over 2 and a half hours away.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me for my little guys amputated leg?! Besides makuna honey.. I’ve seen that suggestion on so many forums and I refuse to try and use a homeopathic remedy that has no proven evidence to back it up. Any suggestions are so appreciated for my poor hamster. I do plan on filing complaints about the vet and his assistant however my hamsters health is more important at this time.
Ebf9681 is offline   Reply With Quote