View Single Post
Old 09-17-2020, 12:44 PM  
HaroldsMum
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Syrian Hamster on 3 medications- doesn't like the taste: any tips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria P View Post
My hamster was on antibiotics twice a day and he's a fussy eater who often pouches food. He doesn't like babyfood.

The vet suggested to draw up the medicine first followed by a drop of Ribena and then syringe it into his mouth.

He's not happy to take it, pushes it away but an antibiotic is too important to miss or not to get the full dose so i slowly syringe it into his mouth under protest. I syringe a little then wait to make sure he swallows it then give him a bit more etc till its gone. He gnaws on the syringe when its finished probably because he's a bit angry so i let him for a few seconds.

I give him a fresh dandelion leaf from the garden as a reward afterwards or a piece of fresh vegetable.

I tried putting the meds on all sorts of food but it simply doesn't work with my hamster.
Thank you very much for your advice, I really appreciate it. Do you swaddle him to get him to take the syringe? Harold doesn't mind being held but he doesn't stay still at all and has always been really wriggly or just wants to run around. So I am finding it difficult keeping him still.
HaroldsMum is offline   Reply With Quote