View Single Post
Old 09-14-2020, 11:02 PM  
Distraughtlemon
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Syrian suddenly more aggressive, and I may have lost her trust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaTheHamster1 View Post
Ok, first things first, relax don't panic.
If it was me I would stop spot cleaning, don't touch anything in the cage except for adding food or changing the water. It can take weeks for a hamster to feel settled and secure in their cage. For example, it took 6 weeks for my syrian Twinkle to stop running back into his house even when I was sat across the room not making a noise or moving. He is tame as anything now.
He was in a 100 x 50cm cage at the time and I didn't clean him out, no spot cleaning for more than 4 weeks. So you could try that first of all.
I wouldn't attempt to get her out the cage again until the hissing calms down and she feels safer. I am sure given time she will gain trust with you, just maybe go a bit slower with the whole process. Some hamsters are fine from day 1, some take a couple of days to settle in and some can take weeks.
She has a habit of peeing on her wheel, is it ok for me to clean it off once a week or should I leave it as it is?

And you're right, I'll leave her alone for a bit, keep things at whatever pace is most comfortable for her and hope for the best
Distraughtlemon is offline   Reply With Quote