View Single Post
Old 09-14-2020, 01:36 PM  
GhostsInSnow

Default Re: Cage/Peer pressure on social media

I 100% agree Amethyst!
Alaskas, Hamster Heavens etc are perfectly fine for Syrians. I remember when a detolf was the cage everyone wanted and the cage that (space and money dependant) so many people aspired to have. I mean, it's huge! So I get pretty exasperated when I see people now saying that a Detolf isn't big enough as a Syrian cage and that 2 detolfs joined is more acceptable (Yes I have seen pretty much those exact words when someone proudly showed off their lovely detolf setup for their Syrian.

I have a slightly unpopular opinion in that I would rather see a hamster that is loved, adored, lots of attention in a cage that might fall slightly under the recommended size than see a hamster with all the toys and space that never receives any attention.

People are far to quick to judge.

Not only that, not every hamster copes well in a huge cage. I breed and show Chinese and I have had far more chinese that have become stressed and unhandleable when put into larger cages (with lots of cover and enrichment) than I've had happy ones.

I know everyone wants the best for hamsters, after all, that's why we're all here, but I do think we need to extend that compassion and understanding to our fellow hammy owners too.

GhostsInSnow is offline   Reply With Quote