View Single Post
Old 09-14-2020, 12:40 PM  
LunaTheHamster1
Cosmic Hamsters

Default Re: Cage/Peer pressure on social media

I think I totally agree with you about everything you just said Amethyst, apart from the wheel maybe. (discuss more in a min)

I took a break from 'hamstagram' the other week and now only on there fri-sun. all of a sudden after being on there for nearly a year the hamster community seemed to take a turn for the worse, people will call you out for the smallest thing they do not agree with. I even did a story on my a/c about being kind as you don't know who is behind a lot of these accounts, e.g. little kids (who aren't even old enough to have an account sometimes) and I don't agree with people naming names of accounts and shaming people into changing their hamster care. That in itself is bullying. If a hamster is in danger and being abused that is a totally different matter, yet i feel some people think that if you don;t have a natural set up etc that you are abusing/neglecting your hamster. I don't agree with that.

I know I have just invested in 2 expensive cages and I buy things for my hamsters all the time, but I can afford to do that and I don't go on holiday etc as too ill, it doesn't mean I will pick on someone else for not doing the same as long as they have the basic essentials in place.

In my opinion, a proper sized cage and wheel, correct type of bedding, decent food and vet fund are the essentials. Everything else you can get from charity shop e.g. hides, or use your recycling. In fact I created a video about creating a budget cage made out of recycling as I was trying to show examples that it didn't need to cost much to give your hamster a good life. I had got fed up of seeing so called 'budget videos for hamsters' when they were still really expensive and they don't need to be.

I actually want to create another video like that as I have had more ideas since. I hope I can help show people that they can add enrichment to their hamsters life without having to buy things. It may not be until next year though.

The wheel size: i started off with the silent runner 9 inch wheel for Luna as i did my research and lots of people said that would be big enough. It was only a few months later when I actually looked at Luna in the wheel that I realised how small it was for her, she was a big girl. Two of my other Syrians have been very long so all 3 of them are/were in 11-12 inch wheels. Only Star my very tiny syrian was fine in the 9 inch wheel, but I still gave her the 12 inch in her cage. If I wasn't so noise sensitive I would not buy the expensive silent runners as i think the Trixie wheels are really good for the price.

I see lots of people dissing Harry Hamster food too these days, but for £1.49-£1.99 I think it s a good choice for most people. I know there is better food out there like rodipet, bunny hamster dream etc but people need to be realistic and appreciate that is not in everyone's budget.

So to sum up I personally don't feel peer pressure, I do what I want but i know and have seen cases of it.