View Single Post
Old 09-11-2020, 08:18 AM  
LunaTheHamster1
Cosmic Hamsters

Default Re: Living World Eco Habitat Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity7000 View Post
Ah I see - so it's when you take the lid off he gets out! I did see something once about this cage and the side holes - about reversing the perspex panels so the holes were nearer the top rather than nearer the bottom. Is that possible? Or maybe not necessary because as you say, really deep substrate isn't necessary. Six inches is probably fine as with a cage. If house was on top of that he almost certainly wouln't be able to climb out. But yes keeping the house away from the side holes sounds good. How about centre back? Then you can see him going in and out of the house. The platform for a wheel doesn't need to be very tall - it could sit at substrate level - just to keep it steady. But then you'd need the wheel at the back as well to be away from the side holes I guess.

I have seen hamsters piling all their substrate in one corner as a hill to climb to get out! Maybe when he is settled in the cage he won't be trying to get out each time - so it could be a time thing.

Don't worry about the video - there is time to change things when he's settled I'm sure it's fine anyway. Always interesting to see how people set things up.
I have the holes as high as they go, which is just above half way approx 10 inches up, if you put the perspex sheets in the other way it would only be 7 inches. I just don't get why they aren't at the top, I suppose they expect people to only put a couple of inches of bedding in maybe???

I just measured, his bedding goes from 6-9 inches so higher than I thought.
I meant centre back, when I said middle of the cage, I'm not sure hamsters like it like that, I noticed when I moved my hamsters houses like that in the past they covered the front doors up every night, I moved them back into the corner and they didn't cover them up anymore.