View Single Post
Old 08-28-2020, 10:47 AM  
AmityvilleHams
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: DIY Upgrade from Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity7000 View Post
My other question was how you fixed the side panels together and the plexi to the panels - whether it was brackets or glue/aquarium sealant or something. That is the bit I would find difficult I think.
While I can't speak for the exact cage's creation, I can say that silicon sealant(aquarium sealant) absolutely cannot be relied upon to hold acrylic to anything. When used with acrylic the only purpose silicon sealant could serve would be to prevent urine and other moisture from getting out. This is because silicon is physically incapable of forming any sort of bond to acrylic, so any cage construction that relied on silicon to attach acrylic would inevitably fail!

There is one concern with the cage involved and that is a very serious one unfortunately. There's at least one exposed bit of an MDF type material that could easily be accessed by any hamster housed in it which would be completely unsafe if chewed, so that will need covering right away and the same would apply to any other similar areas inside the cage. It's also something that could soak up urine and other moisture which is very bad with these types of wood composites since that will make them fall apart very easily.

ETA regarding silicon sealant and the same products sold as aquarium sealant, those must be cured outside for a minimum of 48 hours before ever being used with pets. Silicon once fully cured does not produce any fumes, but during the curing phase it does produce toxic fumes and as such should never be used in the house and always needs to be cured outside well away from any pets!
AmityvilleHams is offline   Reply With Quote