View Single Post
Old 08-28-2020, 04:03 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: DIY Upgrade from Alaska

It's fantastic. Thank you so much for showing us your design - it makes it much easier when you know what size to cut things I don't think there is a hinge Luna - it looks like the top plexi door sits in some brackets at the bottom and lifts out, and is held up at the top by ?magnets - like on kitchen cupboard doors?

I can see the advantage of that kind of cage in many ways, apart from the size - there aren't the fall risks you can have in a cage, and plenty of floor space for enrichment.

Has your dwarfie settled ok? I am not sure why she was bar biting in the Alaska - there could be lots of reasons - but a cage move can create stress - it can take two weeks for them to settle into a new cage - usual recommendation is move everything over to the new cage without cleaning anything first and set it up in a similar way to before - house and wheel in same location eg - and then don't clean out for two weeks or move things around. It helps them settle much quicker. You probably know all that already.

But it may have been that she just didn't like the Alaska! It is also a fairly tall cage for a dwarf hamster and the extra height might have freaked her along with the openness of the bars.

The other cage you have sitting on top of the diy cage - is that for a dwarf hamster as well or is that just a comparison? I think that one does have a few fall risks due to height but it's hard to tell from the photo.

But absolutely love the diy cage. Very clever putting it on wheels as well. And much cheaper than an Eco Habitat! How did you fix the corners together of the board and plexi please? Brackets or glue?
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote