Thread: New cage?
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2020, 02:09 PM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: New cage?

If it’s the duna fun large (but with the bars removed) it is basically about the same as a standard duna multy- about 75 x 45cm. So it’s a good size. A front door is better for interaction in my view and I much prefer it to top access but most tank style cages are top opening so you would be looking at a cage really. I would second the hamster heaven as a good cage with the tubes and penthouse removed. Lovely big front door and low height which is better for a dwarf hamster. It isn’t that much bigger than a duna multy but the extra bit of space does maje a difference and it has more scope for enrichment as you can attach things to the bars.

An exo Terra terrarium 90cm is an excellent choice - glass tank style but with front opening doors but unless you can find a second hand one they are massively expensive. Over £250.

Another option could be the maxi duna multy. That is 100 x 50cm and a lot of scope for enrichment - lots of hides and tunnels etc and space for a labyrinth house and two wheels (eg flying saucer as well). It is still top opening but the door is much bigger so possible to put your arm in at an angle so it’s not quite the same as a hand from above. That isn’t cheap either though at about £90.

If you have a door off an old cage you could make a bin cage and attach the door to the front.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote