View Single Post
Old 08-09-2020, 01:06 PM  
tikitiki212
Newborn Pup

Default Tips on best way to get hamster out of cage?

We have 2 winter white dwarf hamsters (in separate cages). One of them has become quite cranky when we try to take him out.

Back when the hamsters were little and lived together (pre-separation), he was the one who was acting aggressive toward his brother, too. He has always seemed more territorial and I think he is actually a bit of an anxious/ nervous hamster really.

We can pet him in the cage, but when we go to pick him up, he whips his head around and lunges to bite your hand. It's to the point that I'm a bit scared to try to grab him! If he is in his house/ sitting calmly and on the sleepy side, we can pick him up without issues, but if he is in active mode/ awake and running around, he will always try to bite.

I've tried picking his log house up and having him crawl into it to lift him out, but it seems he is too smart for my tricks...he just avoids walking into it and it's hard to force him to without making him nervous.

Once he is out, he is SUPER sweet and NEVER bites me, ever. He crawls all over and I can hold him and even kiss his little head and he doesn't mind a bit. He is very content and tame. Even in the cage, I can stroke his head and pet him, but he just doesn't like getting picked up.

Does anyone have any great tips on how to easily get him out without scaring him?
tikitiki212 is offline   Reply With Quote