View Single Post
Old 08-05-2020, 08:15 AM  
sushi_78
Hamster Overlord

Default Re: Hamster ate chocolate!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmityvilleHams View Post
I wouldn't rely entirely on that source as a 100% accurate source of diet information. Multiple claims they make regarding other foods are pretty dangerous and overall in the community very much looked down on. A source suggesting onion, garlic, leek, dairy products, chocolate, and citrus fruit as being safe for hamsters is absolutely NOT one I would ever fully trust to say the least!
I think when they say chocolate is "perfectly safe", that's a statement without evidence. Theobromine is poisonous to rodents (in much larger quantities than would poison a dog) so it's not correct to say that a food containing it is "perfectly safe". But it all depends on the quantity and the majority of fruits and vegetables also contain poisonous or carcinogenic compounds but are fed without problems.

I think there are a lot of factoids in pet communities and it's always interesting to look at the evidence. The grapes/raisins thing is one factoid that I think is becoming less common but still often quoted.
sushi_78 is offline   Reply With Quote