View Single Post
Old 08-02-2020, 07:58 AM  
rnoer
Newborn Pup

Question Re: Sleeping Behaviour

no problem, ask away! any help is very much appreciated. she is a syrian. her cage is 40 by 20 inches. she has an 11 inch wheel that spins fine and she uses a lot in the evening in her cage and when i take her and her toys out the cage when she’s free roaming (in a play pen set up). originally i had tried a water dish with her but she didn’t really take to it, so i switched to a water bottle that works fine and i always keep an eye on the amount of water in it, making sure she is actually getting water out of it, which she does. over all i have about 5 inches of substrate i’d say, but in one side of the cage i have a section that is around 6-7 inches, just so she has a deeper burrowing area. the main substrate i use is a paper based one, in all honestly i don’t always use the same brand (this may be a problem?) but it’s always a very similar one and always a paper based one as i’ve seen a lot that sawdust can be harmful. she has a little wooden home that’s filled with bedding (or nesting material) this always stays the same and is the care fresh white pet bedding, this is where she always sleeps through out the day. she always has treats and food sticks in her cage, and majority of the time there’s always food in her bowl but if the bowl is empty i usually try to hold off filling it back up until the evening and if i notice she’s stocking a lot of food in her nesting area i sometimes wait an extra night to fill her bowl again just in the worry of over feeding. in the evening when she wakes up i usually give her about half an hour to an hour for her to just wake up, she likes to clean herself for a bit, drink water etc. i take her out pretty much every evening at least for an hour I’d say, but a lot of the time it’s much longer than this especially if she’s free roaming or sometimes she’ll just run about on my bed. her travel cage doesn’t have a wheel because part of the plastic snapped off, it wasn’t the fanciest wheel so i wasn’t surprised but i just didn’t think to fix it as she had one in her main cage anyway and she was only ever really in her travel cage when i was cleaning out her cage, but as of recently of course every now and then she sleeps in there. i just find it so strange that she refuses to play or chew or burrow, only chew her cage bars during the night while i sleep, but once she’s in the travel cage she immediately just burrows and goes to sleep. sorry that was so much information haha, but honestly any help is so appreciated as if i can, i would really rather not have to buy an aquarium and would rather her not have to sleep in her travel cage but as you can imagine the bar chewing is extremely loud and irritating in the middle of the night haha. thank you!!
rnoer is offline   Reply With Quote