View Single Post
Old 07-01-2020, 05:19 PM  
Woweth
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Hamster bites at everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher View Post
Hamsters aren't aggressive by nature, biting is generally a sign of fear or just their way of exploring everything, falling out with siblings isn't unusual but isn't a sign of aggression as we normally think of it.
2 weeks is still early days & you may well find you ham will grow out of biting, some remain a little bit nibbly but most biting does tend to stop as they get a bit older.
When you take him out does he have toys a wheel, chews & other things to explore or is he just running around the room? I would try using a ham safe playpen, you could try putting something like an old sheet or duvet cover over the carpet underneath & give him plenty of things to explore in there.
I don't think gloves are that helpful, I have tried them as a bit of an experiment with hams that didn't bite normally & they all bit the gloves & had a good chew!
I would just go slow, try letting him on your hand then slowly move your hand away if he bites & keep doing that for a while & see how it goes.

What chews does he have? If you haven't already try giving him a whimzee dog chew, that should keep him out of trouble for a while!
Hello, thanks for your reply. He does have a wheel and several toys when he comes out to play, but he’s not too interested in them when he’s outside of his enclosure. With my late hamster we bonded by me just sitting by him while he free roamed, letting him come to me if he wanted. He would start to climb up onto my shoulder and head, and we really bonded that way, he loved being around me and he was a great little guy. For the first few months he was very shy and timid so it wasn’t an easy process, but he never seemed intent on biting at everything. My new dwarf (Noot) just wants to bite. I can’t do the same thing as I did before, just sitting by him, as he’ll attack me. I have tried holding out my bare hand which was thoroughly washed free of scents, but I knew to pull my hand away fast enough as he was just about to chomp down. I haven’t given him the opportunity to bite me yet, since I usually manage to pull back in time, but he definitely wants to. I try feeding him treats but he won’t take them from me, so that doesn’t work. I might just have to accept the fact he’s not going to be as loving, or loving at all for that matter like my last hamster, and so when he is taken out to play, I’m just going to have to supervise him without being in direct contact with him.
Woweth is offline   Reply With Quote