View Single Post
Old 07-01-2020, 04:41 AM  
cypher
Dwarf whisperer

Default Re: Hamster bites at everything

Hamsters aren't aggressive by nature, biting is generally a sign of fear or just their way of exploring everything, falling out with siblings isn't unusual but isn't a sign of aggression as we normally think of it.
2 weeks is still early days & you may well find you ham will grow out of biting, some remain a little bit nibbly but most biting does tend to stop as they get a bit older.
When you take him out does he have toys a wheel, chews & other things to explore or is he just running around the room? I would try using a ham safe playpen, you could try putting something like an old sheet or duvet cover over the carpet underneath & give him plenty of things to explore in there.
I don't think gloves are that helpful, I have tried them as a bit of an experiment with hams that didn't bite normally & they all bit the gloves & had a good chew!
I would just go slow, try letting him on your hand then slowly move your hand away if he bites & keep doing that for a while & see how it goes.

What chews does he have? If you haven't already try giving him a whimzee dog chew, that should keep him out of trouble for a while!
❤️
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote