View Single Post
Old 06-30-2020, 12:13 PM  
Ria P
House of Hamsters

Default Re: Hamster bites at everything

Yes, i had a bitey dwarf who i adopted when he was around five months old. He was very aggressive at first, acting quite mad really but i quickly found out that he was ill and suffering from diabetes and i suspect that he had mental health issues. I also wondered if he had traumatic experiences with humans but yours is young which helps in a way.
I tried taming my dwarf in the bath tub once which freaked him out so i stopped that rightaway. He would bite my fingers or my hand when i tried to offer him food so i offered him the longest mealworm i could find which he snatched quickly. I used to gently stroke his back with a soft pastry brush to get him used to touch and i was eventually able to stroke him when he was busy eating. He never stopped biting completely but he calmed down a lot over time and became a much happier hamster. He used to walk into his mug and liked to go in his playpen bin cage which i eventually connected to his cage. He gained a little bit of trust in me but it took time. He run around on me while i sat on the futon and i was able to stroke him without getting bitten and that's as far as we got. It was fine with me because all i wanted was to give him a better life. I accepted and loved him for the hamster he was and still miss him every day.

I would suggest to take it very slow with your hamster and give him time to settle in and find his way around in his world. I'd watch him and talk to him for a while without trying to interact with him physically. Some hamsters can have genetic defects that lead to mental health or behaviour problems which doesn't mean that that's the case with your hamster.
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote