Thread: Tiny insects
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2020, 10:25 AM  
Korthain
Newborn Pup

Default Tiny insects

Hi there,

There are these very small insects in my hamsters cage's. They have not always been there. Possibly introduced by myself by not sufficiently sterilising some wooden toys I introduced to the cage. They are small in number (not swarming everywhere).

Every now and then I see one in my hamsters’ fur and remove it. They are dark in colouration and sometimes red. They do cause my hamsters to scratch but no loss of fur. The insects/bugs do bite my skin leaving small bite bumps (itchy).

I am hoping you have seen these before and can give me some advice.
My search on the net has produced a ridicules amount of conflicting opinions and answers. I have never been able to get a definitive answer or advice, only speculation. The majority of post suggest that they are not mites as hamster mites are to small to be seen by the human eye? I do not know if this is true or not however I do not want to treat my hamsters for mites if they are not mites as I have read that mite treatment can be harmful to hamsters.

I have attached a photo I found on the net as it is the only other image, I have found of them. I have also attached my own image.

I would be very grateful for your input.

Kind regards
Korthain
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ham1.jpg (324.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200628_181431.jpg (2.15 MB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200628_181456.jpg (2.13 MB, 17 views)
Korthain is offline   Reply With Quote