Thread: hamster biting
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2020, 01:27 AM  
Ria P
House of Hamsters

Default Re: hamster biting

Quote:
Originally Posted by auroraxo7 View Post
oh wow i didnt know about the hand in cage thing, for now i dont have any form of a play pen could you recommend what i use/buy. also i put him in the bath tub one time and it seemed like he was stressed so i put him back into his cage
You can get a kiddies ball pit playpen on Amazon for around £11, they fold up for easy storage, that's what they use in the resue i volunteer for. Put a blanket down and plenty of toys and hides and a wheel or sit in it if big enough so he gets used to you and that's the easiest way in my short experience. Let him run around on your lap, on your legs for a while without touching him so he gets used to you and your scent. I had a bitey dwarf who was happy to walk into a mug to come out and run around on the sofa with cushions on both ends or i sat on the sofa and put him on my lap. That was the only time i could stroke him without getting bitten. He was ill and had issues, was adopted with most likely a traumatic history so not your averidge hamster to start off with but very lovely in his own way. You have a far better chance of taming your hamster and you're not doing anything wrong. I tried the bath tub but it freaked him out so i also gave that one a miss. Does he bite when you stroke him? Mine would whip his head round and snap at me when he was in his cage but not when he was on my lap on the sofa. Well, after a while he would but that's when i put him back in his cage. I used to gently stroke his back with a pastry brush trying to get him used to touch. Let us know how you get on. I'm sure there are plenty of people here who can identify with your current taming situation.
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote